Description


Sunday, July 10, 2011

Travel First Aid - Hot and Cold Packs

At home I keep a large reusable Bed Buddy Back Wrap I can microwave for 1 minute anytime I need dry or moist heat, large enough to velcro around any body part.  I also keep a reusable soft gel ice pack in the freezer (plus a 2 lb. bag of frozen rice that coutours around any body part and holds the cold pretty well).  On the road is a different matter.  Most motels don't have freezers worth a damn in the best of rooms, some don't even have refrigerators or microwaves. My pop-up camper has no refrigerator. So, while still taking it easy with my calf and hip, I've been cruising the internet reading up on Hot and Cold Packs for my Travel First Aid Kit.  

Cold Packs: The throw-away cold packs vary in size from 4" x 6" to 6" x 9", operate by squeezing a water pack into one or another chemical for instant cold, are relatively cheap at about $.75 apiece. There are so many brands out there, I can't begin to name them all.  I can probably pick up a few at Walgreens.

Hot Packs:  Throw aways also available, brands too numerous to mention.

On the other hand, unless I'm actually driving down the highway or in an area without facilities (hiking, camping, at our agility field), I am always at a destination -- a motel or trial site, or a McDonalds, where I can just about count on being able to access hot tap water and ice.  So, I finally remembered my Mammy's, GrandMammy's, and Great GrandMammy's old Hot Water Bottle, with the wide mouth you can also fill with ice cubes. 

Wondering if they sell those any more, I looked them up and found several brands ranging from $7-10.  Voila!  I found my solution, and I'll keep one in the side pocket of my dogs' travel bag from now on.  I also have one of those chemical disposable Cold Packs in the First Aid Kit in the trunk of my car, where it has resided, unused, for nearly 9 years.

Hopefully, I won't ever need any of these items ever again, but hanging around at agility trials, there's bound to be some sports injuries that need nursing, mine or other peoples'. it's always good to be prepared.

Upwards and onward to research my next health issue -- High Cholesterol!

No comments: