Lucky: 6 runs, 2 Q's, 1 1st place, 1 2nd place OJ, OPEN JUMPERS TITLE Videos Posted
GOALS FOR MAXIE:
1-3 Q's XS, if 3, he earns his Masters Standard Title (3 chances). DONE! Earned 2
1-3 Q's XJ. DONE! Earned 1
1-3 2Q's. DONE! Earned 1
A few Placement Ribbons DONE! 2 3rd place ribbons, 1 QQ ribbon
GOALS FOR LUCKY:1 Q OJ, earning her Open JumpersTitle OAJ (3 chances) DONE!
2 Q's XS - A, earning her Excellent Standard Title AX (3 chances)
More Q's if possible, of course. DONE! 1st Q in XJ
A few placement ribbons. DONE! 1st place in XJ, 2nd place in OJ
Nursing a 3 week old calf injury, I went to the doctor Tuesday Morning, who okayed me to run (nothing seems torn), but fixed me up with Naprelan 500 mg. anti-inflamatory and Metaxalone 800 mg muscle relaxer. Supposedly, both are non-drowsy. I took my first pills Tuesday around noon, and by 3 p.m. I was so loopy I tripped and fell once, and felt tongue tied all evening. But by Wednesday my calf was only slightly tender. Things were looking good. Left at 10 on Wednesday, and had the highway to myself the whole 200 mile, 4 hour drive.
This didn't work at all!
All of my aforementioned goals -- down the toilet. All my entry fees lost. My weekend ruined. Or so I thought, until Tracy offered to run Lucky in XS. They have never run together but Lucky has played with her at the field. So, after a bit of bonding and tugging, they headed onto the course, and miraculously Q'd! It was a beautiful run. MOST UNFORTUNATELY, I didn't have the good sense to hide, so when Lucky crossed the finish line I screamed for joy, she heard me and leaped over the ring gates to me . . . . . . . and was immediately disqualified. SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! It seems I have to learn each and every single lesson in this sport personally, at cost..
I caught this run on my Sony Cybershot, and will certainly add this blooper to my ever-growing list of WHAT CAN GO WRONG IN THE RING. Here it is:
On their second run of the day, Open Jumpers, Tracy took Lucky around the ring like the pro she is, Lucky Q'd and my first goal of the weekend was miraculously met -- Lucky's Open Jumpers Title. Plus 2nd place! Lucky walked thru the weaves and her time was a few seconds over SCT, but she Q'd. I made sure I was hiding this time, and only screaming for joy on the inside. My heart was pumping, though. What an adrenalin rush!
Noel offered to run Maxie's second run of Thursday, and they did amazingly well, too, but not a Q. Noel has never run Maxie, but she pretty much taught me how to handle so we handle similarly. They warmed up awhile, Maxie pretty much paid attention to the hot dogs in Noel's mouth, but a few times during the run it seemed Maxie was looking for me and missed a few of Noel's cues. She did manage to catch him after the run. I videod this with my little Sony Cybershot, but I can't find it now. Bummer! I'll keep looking.
|Tracy/Lucky with OJ TITLE ribbon,|
1st and 2nd place ribbons
Lucky fared about as well, with Tracy running him, and me hiding up in the bleachers. It was her first XJ - A run and a difficult course. She ran 3 seconds over SCT, so 6 points were deducted from her 100 score, but she was the only dog to Q at 20", so she got 1st place. What a frickin' shock! Another goal met.
|Noel and Sandy pose with Maxie,|
wearing his QQ ribbon, 2
3rd place ribbons, and 3 Q's.
All of these goings-on this weekend, with the Noel/Maxie, Sandy/Maxie, and Tracy/Lucky teams demonstrating that dogs can run for multiple handlers, led to various comments among LCCOC clubmates about running each other's dogs once in awhile at practice, for insurance purposes.
Reactions were mixed:
- Some claimed their dogs would never run for anyone else.
- Others opined that they didn't want to confuse their dogs with different handling techniques. In my classes we practice each sequence several different ways. How can one know what what works best for you, until you try them all?
- One person claimed she could never concentrate well enough to do the close handling my dogs take.
- Another said she would never let anyone else run her dog, because she didn't want to be shown up! Oh, contrare! I am so happy if someone can show me up, Q my dogs. I have no grand illusions about my skills, and what better way to learn how to improve myself.
- Someone summed it up that dogs who enjoy agility will run for just about anybody, and dogs that don't enjoy agility just do it because they are velcroed to their handler.
|Maxie, Willow, Lucky, Michele|
- Make sure to train my dogs so anyone can grab their collar, and put on their leash.
- If someone else runs my dog, disappear.
- Don't tug too long with Lucky before a run -- it tires her out.
- Lucky does best with a long lead-out, where she can see H standing on the landing side of the jump. If not, she tends to go around the first jump.
- You never know where your help is going to come from. Someone you might not have expected to be there for you, can suddenly save your day.
- Travel with instant heating pads, and instant cold packs.
- I learned that for inflammation or swelling, use cold packs (makes sense to reduce the "flames"), for tight muscles or charlie horses use a hot pad (makes sense that a hot bath relaxes you).
- Maxie is 1 Q away from his MXJ title, and 4 Q's away from his MX title.
- Lucky is 2 Q's away from her AXJ title, and 2 Q's away from her AX title.
- Need to attend at least 2 more trials before November to reach these 2011 goals.
- Not exactly a goal, just a fact, Maxie needs 2 more QQ's and 189 more MACH points by November 30, 2011, to qualify for AKC nationals next year (6 QQ's and 400 MACH points required). It would be sweet to qualify, whether we go or not, but I don't think I'm up to that level of stress yet.
- Heal my leg completely before any more running! Give it 6 weeks, at least.
- Learn to teach my Wednesday night class without running! Nedra says I demo too much anyway, just let them run the sequences and figure it out for themselves.
- Get signed up for the Hattiesburg trial on August 18-21, only 8 weeks away.
- Get signed up for the 2 Kiln trials in September and October.
- Find some first aid cold packs and hot packs. Need a box of each.