NQ, Eliminated, SCT 74 seconds, Dog's Time: 71.39 sec.
2 Refusals, 2 Wrong Courses, 2 Failure To Performs/Eliminations
To start with, all 11 8" dogs were eliminated (you can see their videos and scores under my Links (Maxie's Competition Videos - Kiln). There was not a single Q. There were a few especially tricky spots:
- the jump right before the table points straight to the chute (a trap), you have to call D hard to get that left turn to the table. A lot of large dogs missed this turn and took the chute.
- The jump right after the table is on a steep angle, easy for D to knock the bar that way, then requires a tight wrap to the chute.
- Maxie broke his start line stay (very rare for him) and had to be repositioned. I did have enough presence of mind not to cross back over the start line, or I would have had to take off with him from behind the line.
- Maxie wouldn't come when I called him thru the 1st jump. I had to move closer in. What was he waiting for? Where was his mind?
- WC, E. Jump after the see-saw, Maxie ran a wide circle backwards, opposite direction of the chute/table problem I had anticipated, and opposite of my body cue. To make matters worse, I panicked and instead of running behind the jump to pick him up, I ran in front and he took the jump backwards and knocked the bar besides. My extremely dumb mistake. Where was my mind?
- Maxie was making mighty wide turns, after the tunnel, after the dog walk. What caused that? Was I running too slow to keep him interested?
- R, R. Maxie would not do those weaves for anything. Kept popping out. They let you try 3 times, even though the run is already an NQ, I'm not sure why but guess it's because you paid $22 for the run and it's bad practice to let D get away with popping out of the weaves, ever.
- I appear to be walking through half of the run. Where was my get-up-and-go?
And now, from Susan Garrett's blog:
"We are never as omnipotent as our biggest fan may envision– nor are we as incompetent as our worst critic would have us."
Not that I have any fans except a few family and friends rooting for us, but I am sure I have critics, myself included.
So much to learn. Upward and onwards!