Description


Thursday, November 18, 2010

Birthday Musings

Today is my 64th birthday.  Went to bed around 3 a.m. last night, dogs woke my up at 7 a.m. for pottie time, and now I can't go back to sleep.  I feel clear-headed, too. Perhaps my "early morning" training is working.  Beautiful day. Sunny, clear, 58 degrees.  Got the coffee pot going.  Dogs at my feet.  Husband resting peacefully.  Son taking me to dinner tonight. All is well in my world.

Woke up to 4 emails that said "X posted on your Facebook wall". That was a first!  They were all Happy Birthday messages from fellow dog club members.  Sweet!  I have a Facebook account but never use it.

So here in the hush of morning, I muse on what I want for my Birthday.  In truth, just another year of contented days like yesterday and the day before, and the day before that.  Perfect days.  No bombs falling.  Gestapo not knocking.  Moveover, I never thought I'd have a devoted husband, a trusting relationship, paid off mortgage, no debts, sufficient income to meet our needs, solid house in good shape, settled child, a delightful grandchild, a few good friends, 4 amazing dogs, 5 cats who hunt and keep the snakes away, a good digestive system, and lots of magic in my life!  I guess I could use lasic surgery, a boob reduction, bigger hair, smaller waist, fewer wrinkles, better teeth, less clutter, freedom from my bad habits, better health, a house maid and yard man, healthier parents, closer family, more money, a few less aches and pains.  But on the whole, I think I've got it made.

I intend for John to take me out in the woods today to cut some bamboo poles for my ongoing tee pee project , (which my son has aptly dubbed my "PeePee TeePee").  That will be John's "labor of love" birthday present to me, something no one but he can give (and gives just about every day).  Then we'll get out in the yard and have some fun engineering my tee pee.  That's my idea of "having a blast"!  It's incredibly satisfying to have a "love slave" on my special day.

Shush!  I hear stirrings in the hall.  My "love slave" has awoken. Time for musing is over.  Now I have to go and see what my birthday will really pan out like.  That will be my next post, probably tomorrow!  Meanwhile, this poem keeps running thru my head.  It's called WARNING! WHEN I GROW OLD I SHALL WEAR PURPLE, and you can read it here. It's decadent, delicious, and one of my all-time favorites!

No comments: