Description


Monday, December 10, 2012

Backyard Training Takeaways

Reading through all the other bloggers posts on Backyard Training, my biggest discovery was all the resources on the Bad Dog Agility blog. I've visited the blog before but never explored the site except to read the current article.  Lots of informative Articles, a nice Visual Dictionary of the basic handling moves, but most of all I like the Podcasts--24 interviews with various agility experts.  Getting them to download to my iPhone thru iTunes was a 2.5 hour challenge!  You can read my notes on the podcasts I've listened to.

There were several other memorable posts, which can all be accessed here.  All agreed that most agility fundamentals can be taught in small spaces, without much equipment, and most everyone works on foundation skills in little ways, throughout the day.  Also that all agility handling skills can be taught with just a few jumps in a small space, lots of short reps rather than long sessions on full courses, with numerous examples and diagrams given.  Amen to that!

Marsha Houston, on her 2 Minute Dog Trainer Blog, put it most suscinctly:
"If I take my puppy to a weekly class I probably spend less than 10 minutes out of any hour actually training my puppy. I would have to attend a class for years to get in the same training time I achieve through daily training at mealtimes . . . . while my dog is in a highly aroused state."
http://2mindogtrainer.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/marsha-houstons-2-minute-dog-trainer-blog-2/

I really enjoyed the 4th video on this post, setting up a great rear cross exercise, and am also intrigued by the Hit The Ground Running Online Classes discussed towards the bottom of the post, supposed to increase the dog's speed:
http://artanddogblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/bringing-out-your-dogs-inner-maserati-through-backyard-training/

This one shows that the sport is still evolving, trainers are still experimenting.
"With Kory I’m doing new stuff. Right now I’m teaching him to do a Switch. I should define: The command “Switch” means that I want him to circle my body tightly in a counter-clockwise direction.  I know this seems like a curious objective. You’re just going to have to trust me. I expect in ten years everybody with a fast (and trainable) dog will have both the Switch and the ComeBy in their basic foundation training."
http://budhouston.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/backyard-zen-enlightenment-through-meditation-and-insight/


Only one post emphasized handler fitness, and that one stands out in my mind as it outlines a specific training routine. I needed that!
http://www.poodlesinmotion.com/2012/12/05/my-backyardbasement-training-routine/

Upwards and onward!

No comments: